Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Seventeen

Seventeen years ago today my family and I were anxiously awaiting the arrival of a sweet baby boy.

He was a surprise to everyone but me. For months I prayed for a sibling, and I still believe God heard my prayers and answered.

I was six years old, very much into Polly Pockets, and very excited about adding another member to the family.

On April 18th, 1995 we headed to the hospital. The unborn, unnamed baby boy in my Mom's belly was quite a bit overdue. So, an induction was scheduled. We waited all day for that little boy, and around 4 o'clock he finally arrived!

If I was a painter, I could paint you the most vivid picture of the first time I laid eyes on my brother. The nurse, in her scrubs and surgical hair net, brought him through the double doors into the hallway. He was swaddled and he was wearing a small hat. I am sure he would have been absolutely adorable if he hadn't been screaming since his birth. His face was red, but I instantly loved him. I had prayed for this little boy for months and months. I was more than excited to FINALLY meet him! My 7lb 12oz baby brother was here. He would remain nameless for a couple days (indesisive Momma), but eventually his name would become Tyler Cole McDowell. It totally suits him.

I wish I could post the picture of me holding him for the first time. Sadly, that picture is at home and I am away at school. If I could show it, you would see me, six years old and scared to death. He didn't stop screaming the whole time I was holding him. Honestly, he screamed for most of his first year of life. Don't worry, it got better...

You would  think that with a six year gap and gender difference we wouldn't be all that close. Well, even with our differences we have always been pretty close. When Tyler was around six I decided I wanted to start practicing swing dancing. Of course he was my chosen partner. So, almost every night after dinner I would make him dance with me in the living room. He was smaller so I always got to lead. I would flip him around and make him twirl. He was such a sport. He never complained. He always acted like he was having so much fun just spending time with me. That's something I will always cherish.

Over the years we have definitely had our differences. To be so far apart in age we fought...a lot! However, we made this unwritten, unspoken pact early on. When we fight, not matter how mad we get, we never leave the presence of the other person without saying "I love you." That's the one thing that I share with no one else. Even if he is growing up and becoming a somewhat unruly teenager, I will still love him. He sure did love me as an unruly teenager. It's the least I can do. :)

It's been hard to move away to college, come back home and find him all grown. I remember one of the first times I returned home after being at school for an extended period of time. My brother had gotten glasses. I saw him and realized I had missed something important in his life. I didn't let anyone see, but I cried that night. I realized that I wasn't going to be there anymore for all the important things. I can't express how much that hurt me. It still hurts sometimes that I am not there for all of the important things. But I do the best I can. I know he knows that. Still, I doubt it will be any easier for me. I still cry on occasion when I think about how much I miss him, but I always text or call to let him know I am thinking about him!

I can't believe it's been 17 years. I honestly don't know what I would do without my little brother. We have gotten each other through a lot of hard things, and I am sure there will be many more. I thank God for him all the time. So, today I will be celebrating the day that my life got brighter, the day the best brother in the world was born (sappy I know)! I wish I could be there to celebrate in person, but I will settle for celebrating in spirit. Here's wishing a Happy Birthday to the brother I love!

To me buddy, you'll always be 6 years old dancing around the living room acting like a fool with your crazy sister! However, I am very proud of the young man you are becoming!

Can't wait to dance with you again at my wedding, Brother. This time, I might just let you lead. ;)













No comments:

Post a Comment