Thursday, June 21, 2012

Year ONE.

(DISCLAIMER: Our "miniversary" was on June 12th. However, I have been at youth camp..so, I am just now getting this post up!)

It's been a year.

Yes, almost to the day. Yesterday was what I love to call our "Miniversary." We have been in ministry for a year now. George and I have been youth pastors for a whole year!

It definitely hasn't been the easiest year of my life, but it ranks right up there with the most rewarding. When I was in high school and in a youth group myself I would have never thought I could deal with all of the things my youth pastor and his wife had to deal with.

Now? I understand a lot more about my amazing youth pastor and his outstanding wife (Luke and Jessica Jackson). Thinking back on this past year my first reaction is to call Luke and Jess up and say "Thank you" a thousand times. I just didn't know ministry was actually THIS hard.

I mean I knew George and I would be "in charge" after taking on the role of youth pastors. I knew we would be the ones worrying about powerpoint, snacks, preparing a lesson, announcing events, safety, and small groups. What I didn't prepare myself for was invaision of youth ministry into every aspect of my life.

I assumed it would be fairly easy to comparmentalize my life once I became a youth pastor. I now see just how naive I was. There is no way I can separate life and the effects of ministry. I have spent so many nights praying, crying, and worrying for our students. George and I both fear that we aren't doing our absolute best to disciple and love the students in our ministry. I know there are things we can and will do better, but thankfully the Lord has blessed us through our shortcomings. He's really good at that. We couldn't have gotten through our first year in ministry with our sanity without Him. That's for sure! ;)







It's been an aboslute blessing to have a whole year of experience under our belts. I am praying for so many more. Thanks to all of those who have prayed for us, poured into us, and served right alongside of us in our ministry. Thanks so much for allowing God to use you. And most of all, thanks to the students that have shown us what unconditional love is all about. You all are teaching us so much. We love each one of you right where you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment